In our 30-minute talk with Ed Ryan, we learned a lot about how to make money podcasting. Below are our 5 favorite pieces of advice from Ed, every podcaster can start with tomorrow.
1. “Before you even start thinking about monetizing your podcast, you have to make sure your show sounds good these days. The days of people tuning in and sitting through the rough audio and a poorly edited show are over. Make sure your equipment is good. Your Microphone is good. Your dogs aren’t barking in the background. The show must sound professional.”
2. “Once you feel like your show sounds professional, ask more people than just your family for feedback. Because your mom and your sister or your brother or your best friend. They’re not going to tell you your podcast sucks. They’re going to tell you your podcast is great. But what you do want is some constructive feedback to make your show better.”
3. “If you come out of the gate and give the impression to the listeners that you want to make money right from the beginning, they’re going to sniff that out, and they’re not going to want to listen. They don’t want to listen to somebody who sounds like they’re begging for money. Your listeners need to believe you deserve it because you’re making a great show.”
4. “You need about 10,000 downloads or listens per podcast episode for anybody to even look at you from the advertising space. Now, most of us don’t really have that many downloads. Most of us are nobodies. We’re just trying to start something. That’s a hobby that we love. We want to fill our gas tanks maybe up once a week, or even if we can make a little more money than that. So I would say the advertising part of it is challenging. You have to think outside the box.”
5. “When you create extra content to put behind a paywall, you want your paid content to be just as good as the free content. So people are like: ahh, I love that free show. I have to have this. I have to see what they’re doing now behind closed doors. Because it has to be just as good as better.”
How to make real money podcasting conference
Suppose you want to learn more about how to make money podcasting and explore different channels than just advertising. In that case, Ed is hosting a 3-Day Virtual Event in July together with Radio Ink and The Podcast Business Journal. From 13-15 July, they invite experts to reveal their secret strategies that any podcaster can implement. From Podfather Adam Curry to Gillian Pensavalle & Patrick Hinds from True Crime Obsessed.
A ticket costs $249, but Audry users will get $50 off via this discount link.